Getting your patio ready for summer
Before we know it, summer will be here! So, it’s time to make sure that your patio is just as ready for the warm months as you are – especially if you plan on hosting plenty of BBQs and parties at your home. Impress your guests and keep your patio looking perfectly primped with these summer tips and tricks.
Take the time to clean
If you haven’t set foot on your patio since last summer, it’s probably due for a good cleaning. Dirt and grime can build up over time and really make the room unattractive. Remove all of the furniture and accessories to really give the space a clean sweep to make sure you get every last corner. Clean just as you would inside your house by dusting and vacuuming. Here are a few other cleaning tips for your patio:
- Be sure to use a glass cleaner on glass table tops and windows so that light can properly shine through.
- Wash the fabric on your outdoor umbrella with mild soap and water and be sure to put a household oil on any of its moving parts to make sure they work smoothly and don’t make any squeaky noises.
- Use a degreaser on grill grates and on the outer parts of stainless steel grills.
- Fill all of your plants with fresh potting soil and put in new plants to rid them of bacteria or dead insects that have built up over the winter season.
- Remove any weeds growing between stones with a knife or patio weeder.
- Pressure wash the floor of the patio to rid the surface of dirt and grime.
Have plenty of seating
If you’re hosting a large get-together, it’s important to make sure that every last guest has a seat to relax in. This will keep guests from lingering awkwardly while looking for a place to enjoy the party.
Incorporate summer colors
Color can make all the difference when it comes to a summer party. It really brightens up the room and gives it a bit of personality. Pillows and rugs are super easy ways to color your patio and go a long way when it comes to improving comfort. You won’t have to deal with blistering hot decks and even your barefoot guests will be comfortable. Flowers are another super simple way to brighten up your space in no time and are the perfect decor for summer.
Get creative with lighting
Once the sun goes down, you’ll want to have ample lighting so that your guests can easily find their way around the party and admire your beautifully decorated patio at the same time. Lanterns are a unique and easy way to add some light to the room and can be set virtually anywhere. Hang them on a tree near the seating or put them near the bar to make getting drinks a breeze. Outdoor string lights are another creative option that turn your backyard from drab to fab in no time and create a whimsical ambiance to impress all of your guests.
Screen in your patio
Every covered patio needs a retractable insect screen. There’s nothing worse than trying to enjoy your meal or a drink on a beautiful summer night and constantly having to bat away mosquitoes and flies while doing so. It will keep the fresh air in and the bugs out so your party will never have to be moved inside.
Give your patio a fresh touch by rearranging some of the furniture. Moving around accessories like plants, rugs, wall decor and other patio elements can really create a space that looks new, crisp and modern.