The Design Support Engineer will primarily be involved in the following categories of tasks at Phantom. They are: DFMA, CTQ, Tooling, Design, First Articles, and the Manufacturing Process. You will be a key part of the Product Design Team and will liaise with Manufacturing to ensure that new and existing designs, processes, tooling, jigs, and drawings are ready to be effectively integrated into the manufacturing process at Phantom. The role will interface with design engineering and production. The Design Support Engineer will lead product validation testing, developing validation methods, and completing and reporting the test results. As a key member of the Phantom team, you will provide leadership in the achievement of departmental goals, consistently demonstrate and encourage in others the organization’s core corporate values, and champion Phantom’s overall strategic vision.
- Be the gatekeeper for the PDM drawing control system
- Work with Design Engineering and BOM control to develop common design / drawing standards to Phantoms Design process
- Ensure new and existing drawings meet DFMA requirements
- Release Part and Assembly Drawings with compliant CTQ indications and controls per Phantom procedures.
- Assist in defining tooling requirements and jig designs
- Assist in processing and approving First Articles and document this compliance
- Assist in the process to produce First Articles.
- Develop and execute testing and validation plans for existing and new products, defining product limitations
- Participate in creating design concepts and design reviews
- Assist in creating work cells and process definition and refinement
- Participate in DFMEA and PFMEA processes to support these activities
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in design engineering, engineering, product design, industrial design, or related field
- 3 years’ previous experience in a similar role
- Superior computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite, SolidWorks programs.
- Experience as a manufacturing engineer with a detailed knowledge of designing products, processes, fixtures, jigs, and tooling, in both a low volume and high volume manufacturing environment.
- Strong understanding and application of manufacturing processes, quality control processes, methods, and techniques.
- Experience in project management and economic analysis is an advantage.
- A result-oriented individual with a proven ability to apply evaluation and analysis skills to identify and resolve issues.
- Ability to work efficiently with a minimum of supervision, using good judgement in ambiguous situations along with the ability to maintain composure and professionalism always.
- High level attention to detail and accuracy to appropriately complete all tasks.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills; interacting comfortably and confidently in writing or orally with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Organized and methodical and able to simultaneously accomplish multiple and changing priorities by structuring workflow within in a time-sensitive environment.
- Keen understanding of team goals and achievements and willingness to work in, and be supportive of, a team environment.
- Respect the need to maintain confidentiality when encountering sensitive information.
- Ability to travel throughout Phantom’s market areas if and as required.